SENIOR CLUB CAPTAIN
Wests Bulldogs Rugby – Club Captain Position Description
The Club Captain is responsible for the well being of the Wests playing members.
He/she is the player representative who embodies the club’s ethos and positive behaviours.
The Club Captain is directly responsible to the Board and playing members of the Club.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Club Captain shall:
• Welcome all new players and recruit
• Drive club culture and role model positive behaviours –
o Mutual respect
o Preparation for training and games
o Lead by actions, not just words
o Club first approach
• Ensure club morale and spirit is maintained amongst the playing members
• Maintain discipline amongst the players in conjunction with the coaching group
• Assist the coaching group in identifying key markets for recruiting players
• Be the conduit between –
o Board and Rugby Director
o Coaching Group
o Broader playing group
Knowledge and Skills Required
Ideally the Club Captain should be:
• Outgoing, friendly, welcoming and approachable
• A good communicator and listener
• A good leader with sound credentials
• A good role model for younger players
• Able to commit the time to be present at trainings and matches
• Selfless – able to place the club needs ahead of individual needs
The Club Captain is appointed by the Board in consultation with the Premier Head Coach.
The Club Captain should acquire skills in this role, to enable him/her to succeed, initially to the position of coaching (either Juniors/Seniors) and/or then volunteer sub-committee role with the club.